Category Archives: Uncategorized
For the past several months, I have been debating if I should use the domain name that my husband so kindly purchased for me, or if I should stay where I am.
Every time I got the urge to pick up my blog and move it, I kept telling myself the following:
- It’s too much work to move
- I’ll have to do all the work myself
- WordPress.com makes everything easy; why complicate things
- I’ll inconvenience my readers by switching
But the real truth was: I was afraid. I was using all those excuses to stop me from moving and doing something new.
How can I encourage my daughter to embrace change, if I myself, is reluctant to do so? It made me feel like I was a fraud.
So this weekend, I decided to put my fears away and embrace change 100% . I’ve decided to become independent. In a few days you’ll see what I’ve been working on and hopefully you will embrace it as well.
By working on my own self hosted WordPress blog, I can honestly say that I feel empowered. While I’m not a code person and I know it’s so much easier for me to ask my husband to update the code for me (which I do often); I am still able to take pride in my work.
In the past couple of weeks, I feel closer to my blog and website than I have before. Changing code and layout allowed me to exhibit some control of what is show, how it’s shown, and if I want it to be seen. You can’t ask for a better empowering moment.
- Moving content was easy –still is easy.
- The work that I’m doing maybe something that I’m not quite used to, but it managed to shake up my day–and that’s a good thing.
- Yes, wordpress.com does make everything easy for me and it’s easy (actually stress free), but working on my own website has not been stressful at all.
The last point is one that I’m still worried about. Inconveniencing my readers. Jumping ship is never easy to do and something that I don’t plan on doing more than once.
I just hope that you are willing to make the jump with me. There are things for you to look forward to as well:
- Better layout design
- Cute colors (okay, that’s for me, but they are cute)
- Easier to navigate
- Just looks more fun
I’m still in the process of making these changes, so we got a little bit of time before this big move.